Thursday, November 3, 2016

Episode 2

Vinoth woke up with a start.  Though he had this same dream again and again he could not put his mind to rest.  The man laughing hysterically before taking his own life is not an usual sight to behold.  But he knew he could never forget that.

He looked at the clock.  It showed 5.37. He knew the alarm would wake him up by 6. Not able to decide whether to get up or lie again he tossed around. Then remembering to send some mails before the start of usual work at office he decided to get up. 

He grabbed his laptop and started to draft a couple of mails.  After double checking he sent the mails.  He got up and left his Cosy bed and hit the couch in the living room. He switched on the TV and started surfing the channels.  News channels were flashing news about some hurricane at Indonesia which claimed many lives.  There were disturbing scenes of many people crying and kids corpses everywhere. He couldn't take it at all. 

He got up in a trance and decided to leave for office to improve his mood. He got ready and drove to office. Vinoth was received by Kandasami, the office attendant.  Kandasami was just opening the main door of his floor when Vinoth entered.  He was surprised to see Vinoth that early.  

'Good morning sir. What is the matter? Why are you so early to office ? 'he enquired.  'Nothing special Kanda. Just woke up early.  Thought to complete work fast and leave a bit early today. That's all.  Do you always come at this time to office' . 

'Yes sir.  I always come and keep things ready for you people to start working. Now tell me sir. You wouldn't have had your breakfast . Do you want me to get anything for you'. 

Vinoth just realized how hungry he felt.  He asked him to get a loaf of bread and a small jar of jam. When Kandasami came back he offered to make his sandwich to which Vinoth obliged. 

He was talking and moving his hand frantically with the knife in hand when Vinoth  reached to take a piece of bread. Swish went the knife and slashed Vinoth in the palm.  He shrieked in pain.  Kandasami dropped everything and took Vinoth's hand and pressed it hard to check bleeding.  

Vinoth was protesting against his help.  'Leave it Kanda. I heal fast. It's nothing. '
' Please bear for a minute sir.  I will get the first aid kit'.  Kandasami left for a couple of minutes and came back with a roll of cotton and a bandage.  

'I am telling you.  There is no need for all this.  I heal fast.  The bleeding has stopped' Vinoth protested. 'I will check for myself sir.  Please show me your hand' Kandasami persisted.  He grabbed Vinoth's hand.  

He gasped.  There was absolutely nothing in his hand. A drop of blood or even a scar.  It seemed like the hand had grown new flesh after the wound.  It was as clean as a whistle.  He looked perplexed.  Vinoth looked blank.  He simply said 'I told you. I heal fast.  Don't worry' 

Kandasami was not satisfied.  He looked as if he had been slapped in the face.  He was very much confused.  He had seen the wound just 5 minutes back and now there was nothing. He started to clean the desk.  When he cleared the knife from the table he could see blood on it.  He looked terrified.  He turned to see Vinoth who still looked blank.  

Not knowing what to do he left the room.  'There is no choice left for me now. I don't think I can hold on my secret any longer. I have to fake my death here and leave to some place to start life afresh.' He thought sadly and typed 'Symptoms in sudden heart failure victims'  in Google. 

1 comment:

  1. Vinoth looks like our protagonist here (I expected a disclaimer: any resemblance to names in my real life are purely coincidental!)... Looking forward to your next episodes already, keep them coming :)

    ReplyDelete